The decision to have surgery can be a difficult one, but often a patient persisting symptoms and the effect those symptoms are having on one’s life can lead to the consideration of or the suggestion of surgery. Surgery of the spine is complex and has risks. Also, different diagnosis, treatment approaches, and surgical techniques and can be offered to a patient by different surgeons, often depending upon the individual surgeons particular training, abilities, experience or judgment. If you are considering surgery for the treatment of a current condition, a second opinion may offer the reassurance that all treatment options have been considered.
You may wish to consider obtaining a second opinion for spinal surgery if:
- You are uncertain as to the diagnosis and/or treatment plan already offered to you.
- You wish to learn if there are other (non-surgical or surgical) spinal treatment options available.
- You are uncertain about the risks of spinal surgery.
- You feel rushed to make a decision and want more information.
- The proposed treatment involves an extensive, controversial, or experimental surgical procedure, and you’d like to know if there are other options for spine surgery.
If you’ve been faced with a decision of having surgery, contact Dr. Frank Pedlow at his office by calling (617) 227-9300 for a second opinion on spine surgery.